Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The healing power of touch

One of my favorite memories of the NICU was the first time I got to hold Ashlyn. It was a couple of days after she was born. Chad and I were both in the NICU and our nurse asked if one of us would like to hold Ashlyn. We, of course, both wanted to, but Chad generously suggested that I go first. I was so excited! Holding Ashlyn was so comforting and wonderful! All was right in the world when she and I were cuddling. My feelings were indescribable!




While holding her for the first time, we were introduced to Kangaroo Care. Basically it is where the baby (wearing only a diaper) is laid on the parent's chest so that skin is touching skin. This mimics the kind of atmosphere the baby would have inside the womb and it helps the baby in many ways. It helps the baby maintain their body warmth, gain weight, regulate their breathing, have deeper sleep and be quiet and calm while being alert. It also has benefits for the parents. It helps create a bond between you and your baby and can give you needed comfort and peace. It can also help the mother's milk production.



Some of the sweetest moments in the NICU were when we were doing Kangaroo care. Chad and I have been able to bond with each if our children, but this was different. Never before have we had time to sit and cuddle with our babies on this scale. Plus, we never had the uncertainty. I wish I could describe it in words, but I can't. All I can say is whenever I think about it my heart swells up with love and my eyes start to water!




I had to pump every three hours. That, of course, meant that I had to get up during the wee morning hours. After I was done pumping I would often go down to the NICU and do Kangaroo Care with Ashlyn. It was the best time to go because most of the parents were sleeping. I pretty much had the place to myself! One of the sweetest memories I have of doing this was just after the first time I was able to hold Ashlyn. It was around three in the morning, I had just finished pumping and I couldn't wait to see Ashlyn. I headed down to the NICU and found it quiet and mostly empty. I sat down in the big purple recliner and the nurse placed Ashlyn on my chest. She was so warm and small - she fit perfectly! I probably laid there for more than an hour. As I laid there I started singing my favorite primary songs to Ashlyn - I love to see the temple, I am a child of God, I often go walking, etc. Several times throughout the hour tears would well up in my eyes and roll down my cheeks. The amount of love and gratitude that filled my soul was overwhelming. What sweet spiritual moments those were!


I am so thankful for all of the many wonderful moments Chad and I were able to experience with Ashlyn in the NICU!

2 comments:

Danika said...

I have missed your blog posts! Can't believe it's already been a year...

shannon said...

Sweet first moments! Thanks for sharing! And I love how smitten Chad looks!