Sunday, May 11, 2014

Hampton Court Palace

Chad's sister lives very close to Hampton Court Palace, so we decided to check it out.  This time we got to go with Scott and the kids.  Shannon wasn't feeling the greatest, so she decided to take it easy at home and make us a really nice meal.


It was a beautiful day, but there is always the chance of rain, so we grabbed our raincoats, piled in the family car and headed to see how the other half lived in times past!  The building is very pretty and impressive.  I liked the bright color of brick!


The courtyard was very pretty and ornate.  Again, I loved looking at all of the architectural elements.  One cool feature was the inlaid clock - beautiful!


The kids had some fun with the statues in the courtyard.  The became one with the locals!


Inside we went on an audio tour.  I like audio tours because you can go at your own pace, hear extras if you want and skip things that don't interest you.  We began in the Great Hall.  It is a huge room with beautiful windows and tapestries.  I tried to get a good shot of the windows, but the light was low and I was a bit shaky with the camera, but at least you get the idea!


I enjoyed seeing the various rooms throughout the castle.  The attention to detail in the architecture was very impressive.  It wasn't just the furnishings, it was the ceiling and windows as well.


I was also impressed with some of the decor.  In one room there were some impressive decorations and dresses made out of Tyvek, which is like paper but more durable and workable.  I was amazed at how intricate they were.  Amazing!


Another neat room was the guard room.  The room boasts beautiful large walls that display the weaponry of the day in beautiful artistic fashion.  At first glance you almost don't realize that you are looking at a collection of weapons.


My favorite part of the palace was definitely the gardens.  What a beautiful view to wake up to each morning!  I would love it, but I would hate to be the one who had to maintain it :).


Walking into the gardens from the courtyard was a cool sight!  The first things we saw were the beautiful mushroom trees.   I'm sure they have a fancier name, but to me they screamed mushroom!  I loved them!


I really enjoyed walking through the English gardens.  They were perfectly manicured and had so much character.


As we walked down the path several of the gardens were somewhat hidden.  I loved looking through the trees to catch a glimpse of what was waiting inside!  The whole scene was so serene and beautiful!!


The palace is located on the river Thames.  There were several archways framing beautiful snapshots the river.


Maybe it's because I grew up watching Mary Poppins, but I loved all of the chimneys I saw in and around London.  The chimney's at Hampton Court Palace were no exception!  There were so many and they just charmed me!


Another thing I loved were the beautiful flowers.  There were several different varieties.  It would have been so relaxing to sit amongst the flowers and read, draw or just take in the scenery.

I guess Chad got to sit and relax a little!
It was all just so beautiful!


We had such a nice time at the palace with Scott and the kids.  This was one of the only times that we got to spend a lot of time with the kids, so we really enjoyed it!


When we got back we were met with a wonderful smell.  Shannon had made a delicious apple pie for all of us!  Thanks Shannon, it was delicious!!  It was a great way to end a great day!



No comments: