Friday, November 11, 2011

Veteran's Day

We had another great Veteran's Day this year. I love how much attention this community gives to its veterans!

Chad left work for a couple of hours and attended the festivities with Austin and me. We started at the elementary school. The program was much the same as it was the previous year, but I am always impressed by the kids and the ceremony. Each grade level learned a different song from the armed forces. They sang loud and proud! I can always tell when Veteran's Day is close because the boys start to sing the armed forces songs!


This year Devon got to give a flag to one of the veterans at the beginning of the program. He was pretty excited. He is a little sad in this photo, though, because we had to leave and he wanted us to stay.


After the elementary school, we headed over to the middle school. Tanner did not perform in the program, but we were glad we attended. Our friend, who recently returned from Afghanistan, presented the school with a flag that was flown in his camp. He thanked the school and community for the help and support he and his family received while he was gone. It was really neat!

At the conclusion of the program the audience was invited to visit the memorial wall that had been erected at the school. I walked back to see it. Last year Tanner had my grandfather's name put on the wall, so I tried to find his name. Unfortunately, I was unable to find it because there were so many people, but I was impressed by the number of names I saw. So many have served our country. What a blessing!


Once again, I am reminded of how blessed we are to have live in this country and to have selfless individuals protecting us from harm. I am also thankful to their families who sacrifice so much so that our freedoms are protected.

No comments: