Monday, June 24, 2013

California - Day One

It is always fun coming home.  Chad and I both grew up in California, so it was wonderful to be back!  Everything looked pretty much the same, maybe just a bit more crowded ;).  The memories came rushing back as we made our way to Chad's house.  We had fun sharing stories with the kids along the way.  The best part, though, was pulling up to Chad's house and being greeted by Grandma and Grandpa and our cousins!



Chad's sister and her family had just gotten in a couple of hours prior to our arrival.  They came from London and they were really jet lagged, but they waited up to say hello before they headed off to bed!  The kids, of course, immediately ran off and started playing.  It was great to see them all together again.  It has been two long years since we have
seen them last.  Too long!



Monday morning we woke up to beautiful California weather! To take in the beauty I went on a morning run.  For the last several weeks, the older boys and I have been training for a 5K race we will participate in on the 4th of July.  I decided to let the boys sleep and just go on a run by myself, but as I was leaving my nephew woke up and came with me.  We had a nice time running and talking together. 
Once we got back, the girls got ready for our Girls Day Out!  We spent the morning relaxing in massage chairs while our feet got pampered!  It was fun to sit back, relax, and catch up with each other!    The only girl that didn't get to come was Ashlyn.  It was sweet, Madeleine was worried about Ashlyn not being able to come.  I assured her that Ashlyn would rather stay home and sleep!



After the pedicures we headed over to the Nordstrom Cafe for lunch.  Shannon was looking forward to having one of her favorite salads.  She talked it up so much, I had to try it too!  It was really good!!  I enjoyed hanging out with the girls for the morning.  I look forward to when Ashlyn is old enough to join us on our Girl outings!



While the girls were off playing Chad took some of the boys over to my sister's house to borrow their bikes for the week.  Chad was really looking forward to taking the kids on bike rides up in the hills where he used to ride as a kid!  On the way back they had to stop for some deli sandwiches.  Chad's trip would not be complete (and let's be honest, mine too!) without getting at least one deli sandwich!  We love them (and now our boys do as well)!




When everyone had returned from our morning adventures we got ready to see some more family and swim.  While we were waiting to go, the kids got reacquainted!  I love how they quickly pick up where they left off the last time they saw each other, even if it has been years!!




One of the reasons we wanted to make the trip to California this summer was to see Chad's extended family again.  It has been several years since we have seen them.  We met up with some of the family at Chad's cousin's house.


Aunt Bev and Uncle Dave


Ashlyn's buddy Yvonne


Extended Cousins


Photo credit Shannon Ashton Photography

They have a great backyard with a pool, basketball court, trampoline and more. It was the perfect place for all the kids!  It was great seeing all of the family again.  Everyone has grown so much.  We ate, swam, played and had a great time!


The Spa


Jumping on the trampoline


Swimming and playing with the dog


Shooting some hoops

The boys loved jumping off the diving board!  Even Austin got to go off the diving board.  He wears a life vest because he can't swim yet and the rules at our community pool say you can't use the diving board with a life vest.  Austin was excited when we told him he could do some diving.



We did have a little scare though.  After Austin had been swimming and diving for a while he had to use the restroom, so he had to take his vest off.  When he came back from the restroom he decided to play with some toys outside of the pool instead of go right back to swimming.  The next thing I knew I heard coughing coming from the deep end of the pool.  I looked over to see Austin standing on the step in the deep end coughing.  I was immediately freaked out because he didn't have his vest on.  I asked him if he had just jumped off the diving board and he said that he did.  It was a miracle that he was able to get himself over to the step.  I am so thankful and grateful that he was okay and that the Lord helped him get to safety.  I know he was being watched over because he shouldn't have been able to get back to the side after jumping off the diving board.  Needless to say, the vest went back on and I was on guard the rest of the evening.  I also continued to worry because I didn't know how much water he had swallowed.  Luckily, though, he was fine and the rest of the evening was uneventful.



When Chad got in the pool the kids went on the attack!  They all had fun trying to get Chad off the raft.   Many tried, but few succeeded!  Everyone had a great time playing and swimming around.



Ashlyn has been quite the momma's girl lately, so we were afraid that she wouldn't want to go to any of her extended family.  She was shy at first, but little by little she began to warm up to the family!



What a fun first day!

2 comments:

Danika said...

I'm a little confused...this was your summer trip, right? It looks like they have all their Christmas decorations out!

shannon said...

Great post, making me homesick and wishing we could do it all over again! I think it had been longer than two years though, I'm remembering our last time with you being Christmas 2009 when we came to Indiana from London? So that would be three and a half years! I love all the sudsy hot tub photos!