The decision was a little hard for Tanner. He had to decide to be in band or do the enrichment track. The enrichment track has things like greek mythology. Tanner loves greek mythology, but he also wanted to play the saxophone (no not the baritone - keep reading, I'll explain). So it took Tanner a couple of days to decide what he wanted to do. The band teacher had an informational night for the kids to come try the instruments to see which instrument worked for them. Unfortunately, we couldn't make it to the meeting so the band director told us to go to a local music store to try the saxophone.
Tanner was excited to try the saxophone when we got to the store, but he soon found out that it is hard to blow into the saxophone continually. He was able to do it, but it took a lot of his energy. So Tanner tried out some other instruments. One of those instruments was the Baritone. After playing the Baritone, Tanner decided that he would rather play it than the saxophone.
Tanner has really enjoyed the baritone so far. The baritone is a big instrument. When I saw it in its carrying case I thought about Tanner riding the bus everyday. Band is cool here, but I didn't think carrying that huge case on the bus everyday would help his social status (not that Tanner is really worried about that). Plus the thing isn't exactly light. Luckily, we found out that the school has enough Baritones for the kids to have one at home and one at school. All Tanner will have to transport is the mouthpiece!
Tanner has fun showing off his instrument to his brothers. I keep having to remind all of the boys not to put their head or hand into the Baritone.






1 comment:
Tanner,
I'm playing baritone, too! But mine is a little different style. My valves are going upward and my bell is point upward as well. And mine is silver. I think that it's cool that we're both playing the same instrument.
From,
Dallin
Post a Comment