Remember when you were little and your parents told you to put on your sunscreen? You didn't want to because it took too long and was inconvenient. Well, I wish I would have listened a little better.
A couple of years ago a friend of mine mentioned on her blog that she was having a spot removed from her forehead. She was having it taken off because she had been told that recurring red spots could be cancerous. As I followed her experience I found a couple of similar spots on my forehead. I mentioned it to a nurse and she told me to put some vaseline on it and see what happens. I did that, but the spots kept coming back. In fact one of the two spots would often break open and bleed. That made me wonder about the spots even more. So last month when the spot bled again Chad told me I had to go get it checked out.

It is a good thing Chad insisted because it turns out one of the spots was Basal Cell Carcinoma (cancer caused by the sun) and the other was pre-cancerous. Oddly enough the cancerous spot never caused me any problems. It was the pre-cancerous spot that bled.
In order to get rid of the cancerous spot the doctor had to cut it out. I had seven stitches to show for it. I also got to wear a lovely large bandage. I think it must have said ask me what in the world I did to my forehead? One guy almost jumped back when he saw me. Come on, I didn't look that bad! I did look a little scary right after the procedure because some blood got in my hair. Too bad it wasn't Halloween! It was a little tough trying to get it out of my hair. I was told not to get the incision wet and it started at the base of my hair line.

The boys liked my incision. Kaden walked in one morning while I was changing the bandage and he commented that I looked like a football. That's a boy for you!

The procedure went very well and the doctor was able to remove all of the cancer. My forehead is healing well. The next step is to get the precancerous spot frozen off. I will get another pretty bandaid, but I don't mind. I am just glad the spots are being taken care of.

Day After

Week and a half later
I am thankful the Lord put things in my path to help me get to the doctor. I know if my friend didn't blog about her experience I would not have thought anything of the spots on my forehead. I am also grateful that Chad cares enough to make me go to the doctor! I feel very blessed.
5 comments:
Only you could manage to look that pretty with blood in your hair and a huge bandage! :) I wouldn't have ever noticed last weekend if you hadn't have said something...
I'm sure I probably have a few spots that need checking out based on the fact that I've lived in extremely sunny places almost my whole life and am TERRIBLE about putting sunscreen on unless I'm actually in a swim suit going to the pool/beach! :(
My dad has that done once or twice a year. I guess it runs in the family. I hope it skips me, that looks pretty painful. Good luck to you.
I like the blood in the hair...I think that is what makes you look tough like a football player...or maybe you look like a cheerleader with your hair streaked red! Ha ha...glad you are doing good! We love you!
We're so glad you are doing great!
Please don't take after your father anymore tho- okay? Guess from now on we'll see you looking beautiful...in a HAT !! love you girl... mom & dad
Glad you caught it so fast! Isn't it great that Heavenly Father puts people around us to say things that we need to hear!
Love you!
-Mahaffey's
Post a Comment