Friday, February 25, 2011

Blue and Gold Banquet

The theme for the Blue and Gold Banquet this year was magic. As in years past, the cub scouts had a cake decorating contest. Since we had so much fun making penguin cupcakes last year, Kaden was really excited to make a special themed cake.

A couple days before the banquet I asked Kaden to come up with some ideas for his "magic" cake. We talked about a couple of options and then Kaden got to decide which one he wanted to do. Kaden left the room for a little while then returned with a hand drawn picture of his vision for the cake. Take a look, can you tell what it is? I thought it was a great idea!


The day of the banquet, while Kaden was at school, I made the cake batter. I used two 6" rounds and one 8" round. When Kaden got home we put the hat together and Kaden started frosting. I was impressed with Kaden's frosting abilities. I warned him to be soft (so he didn't break the rim of the hat) and I showed him how to frost the vertical parts of the hat. Kaden set to work, armed with his special instructions, and did a great job!


The idea for the ears was to use cake, but I was a little worried about how they would hold up. I could just see them getting knocked over and ruined before we made it to the banquet. I tried to think of other options and then I remembered the flower cupcakes I made for a Young Women's meeting. I used mini marshmallows for the flower petals and I thought that would be perfect for the ears. We grabbed our big bag of marshmallows and set to work. First, we cut a wedge out of the marshmallow. Next, we sprinkled pink sprinkles on the marshmallow (quick and easy - I love it!). Finally, we stuck the marshmallows on two sticks. Once the ears were done we stuck them in the cake and ta-da the cake was done! It was as easy as pulling a rabbit out of a hat!


Kaden was really proud of his cake. He was a little worried about the contest when he saw some of the other cakes, but he still felt good about his cake. To decide the winner, everyone was allowed one vote. The only stipulation was that you could not vote for your own cake (or one that someone in your family made). Kaden won the Wizards Choice Award for the "Best Magic Cake". He was very excited and pleased with his accomplishment.


I was very glad for Kaden! He did a great job from start to finish - it was magical!! Way to go Kaden!

3 comments:

Diedra Mahaffey said...

WAAAAAY to go Kaden!!! You may turn out to be a great chef someday! I loved the cake! You have a wonderful imagination! Congratulations on a great job!
love you
Nana

NessaAnn said...

Kaden, your cake was fabulous! I am especially impressed by your careful, smooth frosting. I totally voted for you! :) And just to clarify, The "Wizard's Choice Award" was the equivalent of "Best in Show!"

Roger said...

Kaden,

Congrats on the Best "Magical Cake"!

Looks really good, wish I had been there to have a slice because it not only was good to look at BUT I just bet is tasted good!!!

Who knows mabe someday you will be on TV and have your own cake decorating show.

Keep up the good work.

Love papa m