Wednesday, August 10, 2011

All sewn up

Being a young women leader is a dangerous job, but someone has to do it. At least that's what it felt like at our last young women activity. I brought my sewing machine because we were teaching the girls how to sew an apron. The aprons were really cute and easy to make.

After some instruction, the girls sat down at the sewing machines. I quickly went over to my machine because I realized I had forgotten to thread it. With the young women sitting at the machine - my first mistake, I began the process of threading. The last step in the process involves putting the thread through the needle. Once I had put the thread through I put my finger under the needle to grab the thread - second mistake. At that very moment the young women sitting at the machine accidentally touched the foot pedal. I was looking the other way and suddenly felt a lot of pressure. I immediately knew what had happened and so did she. Yep, the needle went through my finger, thread and all.


I quickly turned toward the machine and assured the young women that everything was okay. Then I reached over and manually backed the needle out of my finger. At that point I cut the off the thread and calmly, but swiftly, exited the room. Once in the hallway I ran to the bathroom, because by now my finger was bleeding pretty well. I washed my finger, pulled out the remaining thread, and wrapped a paper towel around my finger.

When I returned all of the young women were worried. A couple of them quickly left to find the first aid kit. They found it in the kitchen and were able to patch me up! It was actually a good first aid experience for them. They still had it fresh in their minds since they had recently gone to girl's camp.

I remember several years ago, a friend telling me that she had sewn her finger. Ever since then I have wondered how someone can sew their finger . . . well, now I know! I was actually surprised that it didn't hurt more. I felt a lot of pressure, but not searing pain. I was lucky that the needle didn't hit the bone because the needle could have broken off in my finger.

I was touched by the girls concern for me. Many kept asking if I was okay and if the needle actually went all the way through my finger. Someone else made the comment that Monroe fingers should beware while at church. This makes two fingers that have met with injury this year. As you may recall Devon got his finger closed in a door earlier this year. Let's hope the quota has been filled!

2 comments:

Diedra Mahaffey said...

Reminds me of mom... she sewed her finger a couple of times... on her old machine that you have to use your knee to push the bar that powers the needle... OUCH! What a trooper, you guys are giving your ALL to the church! love you.. mom

Danika said...

Yikes - glad you're okay! That's funny that you mentioned Devon's finger...about 1/2 way through reading what happened to you I thought, "didn't one of her boys hurt his finger at church also?"
We tried to sew pajama pants with our YW a few years ago and it was a disaster! We swore that we would only do sewing again if the moms came and brought their own machines and helped their own daughter since we were very busy trying to help everyone and we didn't know how to work all the machines that the moms had brought.