Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas Parties

Winter parties at school are a little tricky when you have three kids at one school, but Austin and I managed to make it to each of the boy's classrooms. I say "winter" parties because that is what they are officially called, but they are really christmas parties. Most of the games and activities revolve around christmas things, but our schools have to be politically correct. The kids love them none the less, plus this year they got to wear their PJ's!

Each year I volunteer to help at one of the boys parties. This year it was Kaden's turn. He and I were both excited because I don't get into Kaden's class as much this year because he is getting in the upper grades and they don't need as much help. I usually leave Austin with a babysitter, but this time there was a little mix up, so Austin came with me to the school. Kaden and his friends were more than happy to have Austin celebrating with them.


As is usually the case, when I got there I found the classroom full of parent helpers. The room mom is always worried that no one will show up to help and then half the parents end up being there. Since there was so much help, I didn't have a lot to do. I helped pass out food (which they get way too much of) and I tried to help with some of the games and crafts.


One of the games was a gift wrapping relay race. It was pretty funny to watch some of the kids wrap their present. The girls were more detailed, while the boys just threw the paper on (Kaden was no exception)!


After a game or two Austin and I decided to head down to Trevor and Devon's rooms to see how their parties were going (all the parties are held at the same time). Trevor's class was surprisingly quiet. When we got to the room all the kids were sitting on the floor eating their treats. Apparently we had just missed all the games. Austin settled in next to Trevor and tried to eat his food!


After spending a little time with Trevor we headed down to Devon's room. When we got their the kids were working on a craft. They had three large marshmallows on a stick and they were using edible ink to decorate them into snowmen. It looked cool, but I'm not sure I would eat it!!


The next night we attended the ward christmas party. It was on a Wednesday night this year, which I thought was a great idea. Usually every weekend in December is packed so it was nice to have something happening during the week. The party was really nice. We had a nice sit down dinner and then each auxiliary performed a song for the ward. Actually, I'm not sure if the Relief Society sisters performed as a group, but the Priesthood did. They did a great job. It was fun to see Chad up on stage singing!


The primary is always fun to watch. This year it was even better because, for some reason, I let Austin go up with the boys. He stole the show! Between talking (almost yelling) before and during the song and pulling his pants up Chad and I were beat red and laughing up a storm. It was great! I should have taken a video!! I'm not sure what Devon was doing apart from the group. Maybe he was a little embarrassed by his brother!


It was a great evening and we all had a lot of fun!

1 comment:

Danika said...

That's your whole primary?!? Wow - I forget how small other primaries can be! I think ours is close to 200 kids!