Sunday, April 29, 2012

Week Five - April 29th - May 5th


Day 28
Today was a very nice low-key Sunday. It started out with a surprise visit from Chad and the boys before they went to church.  Chad had a speaking assignment in another ward today, so he took all the boys with him. I didn't think I would see them till later in afternoon, so I was delighted when they walked in! They only stayed for about 10 to 15 minutes, but it was a great start to my day.

Not too long after they left, I was able to Skype with Chad and Michelle and their family. It was fun to talk with all of them. It was weird to think that I had just been at their house right before this happened.

After I got off the call with Chad and Michelle, my Relief Society president called to see if I would like to listen to the third hour of church. I told her that I would and I enjoyed listening to the lesson for the next hour. What a blessing technology has been since I've been in hospital.

During the afternoon I spent my time reading a book called Heaven is Here by Stephanie Nielson.  Some of you may be familiar with her story.  She and her husband were flying in a small plane when it crashed.  Stephanie received burns on 80% of her body as a result.  Her husband also got burned, but not as bad, he also broke his back. I am at the part of the book that is talking about her recovery in the hospital.  It makes my hospital stay seem like no big deal. It is a good book and it is well-written. It really puts things into perspective and makes you thankful for what you have.

Chad and the boys joined me for dinner again tonight.  They brought a soup that a lady, in the branch they visited today, made for them. She wasn't signed up to bring them dinner, she just saw a need and filled it. We are surrounded by so many wonderful people. What a wonderful blessing it has been for our family. I know you wish you could be here to help, but just know that the Lord is blessing us through our friends, neighbors and church members in your behalf.

Another little highlight of the evening happened right as Chad and the boys were about to leave for the night. My sweet friend stopped by with a plate of cookies and a little sign sticking out of it that said "Happy 31 weeks".  It was so cute. She thinks of everything.  She said we needed to celebrate, so she and the boys sang happy 31 weeks to me and Ashlyn!  She started to sing happy birthday, but we quickly reminded her we didn't want it to be Ashlyn's birthday today!  She agreed and quickly changed it to happy 31 weeks!


It really is a celebration.  I can't believe I've been here for a month.  Chad, the boys and I are thrilled that Ashlyn has stayed inside of me for so long. I continue to pray that she will stay inside for three more weeks, but I feel really blessed that she has made it this far! The Lord is watching over us and is truly answering our prayers!


We love you and we are thankful for your continued prayers.  We pray that the Lord will bless you in return!

Day 29
Well, it's been four weeks. I can't believe I've been here a month already. It has actually gone by really quickly. Visitors, phone calls, the computer and books help the time go fast for me.

Ashlyn got an eight out of ten on her test today. She didn't want to show her breathing again.  She did breathe, but only for about 15 seconds. I asked the doctor if he was worried about her not showing her breathing three times in a row.  He told me he wasn't concerned because she is still really active and has a good heartbeat and if they let her go for longer (on the test) she probably would have shown her breathing. My fluid level stayed about the same - it is 8.45. They also measured her today and she weighs about 3 lbs. 7 oz.  My doctor previously told me that he thought she would probably be around three and half pounds, so she is looking good. Plus, she is still head down!!

I was blessed again today with several visitors and I also got to talk to several of you. It made for a great day. The boys weren't able to come over tonight, but I was able to talk to them before they went to bed. They all needed a good night sleep!

Speaking of sleep, I should be heading there myself. I love you all and thank you for everything you've done for our family!

Day 30
Today was a nice quiet day. Chad came over this morning and we talked about some of the things we would have to start getting ready for our baby girl.  We are looking for a new infant car seat, because our 12-year-old one isn't going cut it anymore!  I wish we had thought about more of this stuff before I got in the hospital, but then again I thought I had several months to do it all!

For most the day I finished reading the Heaven is Here book.  I really liked it, but I shed several tears.  I was glad that none of my nurses came in while I was tearing up. I didn't want to cause alarm! Although my experience is very different from the authors experience, I found many parallels and insights. She shared a scripture that I had already adopted and I appreciated her insights. The scripture is 1 Nephi chapter 1 verse 20. Nephi is telling the reader that the tender mercies of the Lord are given to those that are chosen and are faithful unto the power of deliverance. I think I liked it at first because of the last phrase, but I truly really like it because of the tender mercies.  We have received so many tender mercies during this last month and I'm very humbled because so many people are praying for us and helping us out.

My friend who has come to visit me almost everyday came by again today and this time she brought the boys some activity books.  She knows they are getting a little bored while they are here, so she came up with a plan to help remedy the situation!  She is so thoughtful and creative!



I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but one of the perks of being here is every Tuesday and Thursday I get a massage.  It is a wonderful free service they offer here. I look forward to it and it also makes me feel like I have some sort of a regular schedule!  Can you believe some mothers actually pass up this offer.

At the end of the evening I went on the monitor that tracts Ashlyn's heartbeat and any contractions I have.  I think Ashlyn knows when she's going on the monitor because she starts to kick and move around more.  I think she likes to see how many times she can kick the monitor in 20 minutes! I don't mind because that means she is doing well!  Just as a side note, I haven't had any contractions.

I'm thankful to have another day with Ashlyn inside of me. I'm so grateful for how long she has stayed in so far.  Thank you again for all of your prayers, I know they're helping. I love you and I pray that the Lord will bless you.  

Day 31
Well, another day down! Every day she stays in is a good day. Even though we don't know when she's going to come, it's good to know she'll be here by May 21st. With so many unknowns, it's good to know at least that!

It's been another quiet day around here. Chad came to see me in the morning and at lunchtime. I really enjoy his visits. I told him it kind of feels like we're dating again, because we only see each other for short time and then he has to go home to a different place. He didn't quite agree, because he has to go home to a house full of children!

I spent my afternoon trying to make hair bows for Ashlyn.  Lindsay sent me some supplies, so I gave it a try. They don't look too bad for my first try, but I did learn several things. I added them to my hair bow ribbon that hangs on my bathroom door. They help brighten up my room.


The boys have also given me some things to brighten up my room.  Devon and Kaden have made me several drawings.  I love to look at them during the day.  They bring a smile to my face!

Family Tree by Devon

Kaden has really been into drawing birds lately.  He is getting so good!

Tonight Chad and the boys couldn't come over because they attended Tanner's honors awards night. Tanner received a 4.0 for the entire year. That makes two years in a row. His goal is to do it again next year. If he does, he will be awarded a plaque for achieving a 4.0 grade average for all his middle school years. Tanner has worked really hard and we are very proud of him! I was a little sad that I wouldn't be able to see Tanner get his award, but my sweet husband Skyped with me right when Tanner was getting his award.  It was a little fuzzy, but at least I got to see it!


Tomorrow is my test again. I'm always curious to see what the fluid level is and if she is still head down. We're hoping for good things! Who knows, maybe she'll even show her breathing tomorrow :)

We love and miss all of you.  Thank you for your continued support and prayers!

Day 32
Today has been a really nice day. It started out with a really good test score! Ashlyn topped the charts again - she got a 10 out of 10, plus she is still head down! My fluid level went down a tad bit, but not too much, it was 7.9.


When I got back from my ultrasound a friend was waiting for me.  She gave me some delicious chocolate and then took me out on a wheelchair ride!  It was a beautiful day outside.  It was a little warm in the sunshine, but in the shade it was perfect.  I loved feeling the breeze!

After my friend left, Chad came for lunch, it was nice to have him here. Then after Chad left another visitor came by.  I love it when I have several visitors, it makes my day go by faster.

As a nice close to my day, Chad and the boys came to visit!  The boys told me about their day.  We enjoyed talking and laughing together.  We also did little activities - Devon and I played hangman together. It was nice to do something more interactive with the boys rather than just sitting here.

I'm thankful for another nice day.  I'm amazed and grateful that after being here for over a month I still have several visitors a week. It's another blessing. I'm learning a lot through this experience and I hope to pay it forward for someone else in the future.

I have been given so many wonderful things while I have been here.  My room has been like a garden with all the flowers I have received!  I love it and it makes me so happy to look at them all day.


I know I say it every night, but I thank you for all of your prayers.  I feel I can't thank everyone enough. I pray that the Lord will bless you and each of your families.  I love you all!

Day 33
Today was a pretty quiet day.  There's really not much to report. Ashlyn continues to look good on the monitor. All the nurses comment that she looks great!

I did have a couple of visitors today.  My first visitor was Austin.  My friend who was babysitting Austin brought him over to visit with me. It was nice to see him during the day.

A little later my friend brought over Austin's schedule for next week and stayed to talk a while. We joke that she is Austin's personal assistant!  She actually loves the title. She's been a wonderful help throughout this whole experience.

The rest of the day I mostly worked on editing pictures for the blog.  I'm hoping to be all caught up by the time Ashlyn comes. Wish me luck!

Chad and the boys came over again tonight. It was really nice to have them here. I miss them a lot and look forward to when we can all be at home together again.

I hope you're all doing well, I think about you often.  I am blessed to have such wonderful family and friends. Thank you for everything!  We love you.

Day 34 – May 5th
This morning, just a day shy of 32 weeks, I went into labor.

Without going into too much detail, I woke up and saw a little blood (actually a good amount) and the nurses decided to monitor me. Just after they started monitoring me I started having contractions. They weren't too intense, but they were coming close together, so the decision was made to move me to labor and delivery just in case this little girl wanted to come really quickly. So now I'm in labor and delivery and I'm playing the waiting game again. Everything is still looking good with the baby. They're keeping a close watch on her, but they think it will be several more hours. Nothing in this pregnancy has been very predictable though, so we will see what happens. Whatever happens, I feel really calm. I don't know what problems she will have when she comes out, but I feel confident that everything will be okay. The Lord has really blessed us and I feel that he'll keep continuing to do so. I'm very grateful for all the tender mercies he has given us so far.

1 comment:

Danika said...

Hurry up and get these posted so we can start seeing pictures of that cute baby girl! I'm so glad to know how this ends - I would be dying in suspense! I'm so glad to hear you were well taken care of by friends & your ward. I wish I lived closer so I could have helped.
PS - I think you meant for your title to be May 5th (not Oct 5th)!