Sunday, November 28, 2010

Caramel Apples

As I was grocery shopping before Halloween I saw a box of caramel apple mix. We have never tried to make caramel apples before, so I thought it would be a fun family home evening activity. Great minds think a like because when Chad got home and saw the box he said he had been thinking about doing the same thing.

We had a lot of fun and we learned some lessons for the next time. We started with some nice big apples.


Then the boys stuck popsicle sticks in the apples. Chad took charge of dipping the apples in the caramel. It was very hot and heavy.


Chad had very nice form - the apples turned out smooth and beautiful! Once the apples were all dipped we put them on a piece of wax paper and set the in the frig to set up.


I don't think we let them set them up enough, because they were still pretty sticky.


Putting them on the wax paper wasn't a great idea. The paper stuck to the apples when we took them off. That didn't stop the boys though - they dug right in! They all enjoyed trying to take a big bite out of their apple.


No one was able to finish a whole apple, but we had a lot of fun. It was a fun family activity. We look forward to trying again next year.


1 comment:

Danika said...

I got (free with coupons) a container of caramel dip so we had apple slices dipped in caramel while we carved pumpkins. All the yumminess without the waste and mess of caramel apples! :)