Wednesday, April 6, 2011

It's a Boy Thing

This morning I sat down to read my scriptures. I started nodding off, so I decided to lie down while the boys finished their jobs before school. It was wishful thinking really. Not long after laying down I heard it . . . frantic screams from my dramatic boy. Trevor came running into my room clutching his face with both hands. Trevor is one of the bravest of our boys and he is super competitive and hardworking, but when he gets hurt, it's game over. He loses all control and you would think his arm was just chopped off. It is a little frustrating to deal with, but we're working on it.

So, back to the story, I calmly walked over to Trevor and pried his hands from his face to reveal a big red goose egg under his eye. I tried to calm him down while I got some ice for his face. Trevor was sure there was blood, but luckily there was none. After a several minutes he settled down, but he wouldn't smile. He looked pretty sad lying down on the couch with an ice pack on his eye.


I found out that Devon had been standing on a bar stool putting breakfast stuff away when Trevor started bothering him. So in typical boy fashion, Devon pushed Trevor. As you might have guessed Trevor fell onto a nearby chair and hit his face.

This all happened about ten minutes before the bus arrived, so I decided to take Trevor to school late. Trevor was looking pretty sad and he kept asking me to let him stay home from school. He told me he didn't want to go to school looking like that. I assured him that he was okay and that he was still the same old Trevor. I also told him that wearing a smile instead of a frown would help him look and feel better. Today happened to be spring picture day. Luckily, I wasn't planning on getting any pictures. I told Trevor he didn't have to take pictures (these were the kind where they take your picture and then you decide if you want them). I think Trevor felt much better when we got to school and found out that his class had already taken their pictures. I hope Trevor is having a good day. I felt bad sending him to school, but I knew he needed to go and that he would be just fine.


Just like parents everywhere we try to teach our boys to talk instead of hit or push, but alas, the lessons continue. We have some good days and some not so good days. I am inclined to say it's a boy thing, because boys tend to be more physical, but in reality I think it's a kid thing. I remember several similar situations growing up with my sisters. I hope the boys learned from this lesson today. I am sure we will have many more talks and several more incidents like today, but I'm sure it will get better along the way.

2 comments:

Misty MAHAFFEY said...

yeah, I remember similar things like this happening. like the time that i was minding my own business and you came by and pushed me into a chair and I got a big goose egg...it just so happened to be spring picture day as well. somehow we lived through it, but i still say i owe you one good push...watch your back!

Brooke said...

Whiner! That was a love pat :)