Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Leaf Bug Adventures

At the beginning of the summer I planted some of my favorite flowers. I like my yard, but for much of the year it looks monochromatic, so when summer comes around I enjoy adding color in the form of flowers.


This summer has been so hot that I have had to be very diligent at watering the flowers. The flowers have grown in beautifully, but despite my best effort, my Gerbera Daisies have struggled.


One day as I was watering the daisies, I moved some of the leaves around to allow for good water flow and suddenly a leaf flew out at me. It startled me and I quickly turned my head away, so as not to get hit in the face. When I turned back around I saw what had flown out of the flowerbed. I was amazed to see a bug that looked exactly like a leaf.


I know that leaf bugs exist, but I have never actually seen one. It amazed me. It looked exactly like a leaf and the thing was a high jumper. I knew the boys would get a big kick out of seeing the bug, so I went inside and grabbed my boys and the camera.

The boys were equally amazed. Trevor quickly grabbed his insect house and we coaxed the bug inside. It was actually pretty easy. The leaf bug jumps high, but it isn't spooked easily. We were able to get very close to the bug.


I wanted to get a good picture of the bug, but it was pretty bright outside and it was very humid (my lens kept fogging up). So I decided to bring the leaf bug inside our house (inside the bug house of course). I warned the boys to be careful because I didn't want a high jumping bug going crazy inside my house.

The boys were very careful, but I wasn't. I was so focused on getting a good picture I wasn't paying attention and the leaf bug jumped out of the bug house (I had to lift the up the door in order to get a clear shot). Luckily, the bug didn't jump very far and we were able to quickly get it back inside the bug house.


When I was done taking pictures we put the bug house outside with the door open. Devon and Austin sat for several minutes watching the bug house to see the bug emerge. We waited for at least fifteen minutes, but the bug never left. It wasn't until we all stopped watching that the bug finally took off. Very interesting and cool and a nice break to our normal summer schedule.

No comments: