Saturday, May 14, 2011

Saturday Morning Rides

I have always loved to go mountain biking. That can be a problem when you live in Indiana. There are actually a few decent trails to ride within an hour or so of where we live; however, it's tough to beat the regional park trails that were literally in my backyard growing up or the trails in the Wasatch mountains. Last December, the city of Newburgh completed the first section of a trail system that runs along the Ohio River. The trail is paved, so it isn't perfect for mountain biking, but we enjoy it nonetheless.


On Saturday mornings, the boys (at least the older ones) love to come with me. The pace is a little slower, but the company is worth it. We typically wake up pretty early so we can get out on the trail before it gets too hot. Regardless of how early we set out, the boys are always excited. They set their alarm clocks and come right downstairs to wake me up. We ride for an hour to an hour and a half and always have a great time. I can remember spending hours riding my bike when I was their age. I'm glad that the boys are excited to ride with me.


A few weeks ago, we were about 20 minutes into our ride when the sky began to turn dark. We ducked into a nearby gazebo to wait out the impending storm. The boys all enjoyed running out into the rain while we waited the storm out. By the end of our wait, the boys were so wet that I'm not sure they would have been any more wet if we had just continued the ride. I had fun watching the boys' excitement as we waited for the storm to pass. Of course, we got fairly wet on the ride home since there seems to be some sort of magnetic attraction between our bikes and puddles. We had a great time!



No comments: