Sunday, October 23, 2011

Carving Pumpkins with Friends

Every year we look forward to carving pumpkins for Halloween. This year we were invited over to a friends house to carve pumpkins. It was fun to be with friends!

The boys were so excited to be at a friends house that they didn't help with the pumpkins as much as usual, but we did get them intermittently. Kaden and Trevor started by cleaning out the pumpkins while I drew the designs for the faces.


We have a book of ideas, so the boys look through and tell me their favorite parts, then I make a custom face.


After the face is approved I trace it on the pumpkin for Chad to carve. This year Chad got some help from Austin!


While we were all carving pumpkins we had a special Halloween sugar cookie - made to look like candy corn. Yum!


Once the carving is all done our friends invited us to join in one of their traditions. Everyone in the house gets to write an original poem to share with the group. My friend keeps all of the poems in a binder year after year. It was fun, but a little nerve racking - I'm not the best at writing poems. Everyone was really creative and we had fun listening to all the poems. It was a really fun evening. We are thankful to be surrounded by so many wonderful people!

When we got home we put the pumpkins in their spot on the porch and lit them for all to see. I love the finished product. I'm not sure who first thought of carving pumpkins and lighting them, but what a great fun idea!

1 comment:

Danika said...

I saw that candy corn sugar cookie recipe this past fall and wanted to make it. Definitely next year!