Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cross Country Starts Again

We weren't sure if Tanner would want to do Cross Country again this year. During the summer he wasn't so sure. One day while my sister was visiting, Tanner was talking about Cross Country. My sister told him that if he drank pickle juice he wouldn't get cramps. To that Tanner promptly announced, "I'm doing Cross Country then." We were all very surprised by his declaration, but we didn't say anything. We are glad that Tanner made that decision. We know that he has a lot of potential and we hope that he will see that through the course of this season.

Last year Tanner wore an old pair of Tennis shoes. It was his first year and we weren't sure what Tanner would think of cross country, so we didn't get new shoes. This year before the season started Tanner and I had a talk. I told him he should make some goals for this season. I also told him that I thought new shoes would help him with his running. I told him we would be willing to get him new shoes, but only if he was serious about working hard this season. Tanner thought about it for a while and then he came to me and told me that he needed the new shoes.


The new shoes have been a good motivator for Tanner. They are a good visual reminder of the goals he has set this year. Chad and I have both been impressed with how hard Tanner has been working at practice. It has been great to see him come home to tell me that he worked hard at his practice or that he only walked a little (that was a struggle last year).

Last night was Tanner's first Cross Country Meet. I think we were all anxious to see how Tanner would do. Tanner's goal was to keep up with the main pack of runners. Chad and I gave Tanner some quick reminders and tips and then it was time for the race to start.


Tanner started the race well - he was with the main pack. As the runners disappeared behind some trees we all found a place where we could cheer Tanner on as he came back around. The boys are really good at cheering for Tanner. The first time they saw him they started cheering and running along the sidelines with him. I love to see that!


As we saw Tanner coming around he was still in a good spot. He was staying focused! As he neared the finish line we were all cheering loudly for him. He did a great job. He sprinted to the end. When he was almost there he started grabbing his stomach. He was working so hard that he was really starting to feel it. He did a great job all the way to the finish line!


We were so excited for him. We were even more excited to find out that he came in 14th place. We were really excited with how well he did. We found out later that the top 20 kids get a ribbon. Tanner was pretty excited that he got a ribbon at his first meet!


Congratulations Tanner! You did an awesome job. You are going to have a great season. Keep up the good work. We love you!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Tanner you are awesome. I have always wanted to be a runner. I know how hard it can be. Bro. Lofthouse always tells me that your mind is the key. Your body can do way more than your brain is willing to let it. He says all the time when he is in training his mind is telling him to stop but if he stays focused and pushes himself his body can always make it. Good luck...I want to come cheer you on. I will find out when the next meet is!

Scott said...

Congratulations, Tanner!