Thursday, August 12, 2010

Get Ready, Get Set . . . GO TO SCHOOL!

Yesterday was the first day of school for the boys. We have had many different emotions regarding school over the past week. Kaden was the most excited to start school. He has been counting down the days for over a week now (he gave me an update almost every meal).


Kaden started off the morning very anxious. He told me that his stomach was hurting. I assured him that it was only because he was so excited. He couldn't wait to get going. He and Trevor went outside to wait for the bus about fifteen minutes before the bus came. After school he was happy to tell me all about his teacher, the new kids in his class, where his class was and where his locker is located. I can always count on Kaden to give me good details!


Tanner has been a little nervous (and so have I) to start middle school. Last week Tanner went to his orientation. He got his schedule, locker combination, a tour of the school, and met his teachers. He was very happy when I picked him up and he didn't seem very nervous anymore. I was very happy that things went so well. Later that night I found out that Tanner's schedule had to be changed. I got nervous again because I was afraid this would make Tanner uncomfortable again. Tanner showed me that he is growing up though, he took the change in his stride. He wished that he could have kept his first schedule, but he said that the new change would be fine. This week we picked up his new schedule and met his new teachers. Once again Tanner seemed ready for his first day. The Lord does answer our simple prayers!

When Tanner got home from school he told that his day was "fine". Tanner is not quite as talkative as Kaden, so I had to keep asking him how each part of his day went. Each time his answer was "fine". As the day went on he did divulge some details. Tanner had a good first day. I am proud of him for being so courageous. It's not easy starting a new school all by yourself.


Trevor hasn't said much about starting school - maybe that is because Kaden was doing all the talking. Trevor was excited about getting his school supplies. He was pretty anxious to get to the store to get everything on his list. He kept checking with me to make sure we had everything he needed. He has been packed and ready to go for quite a while now!


Before school I asked Trevor if he knew where his class was. He told me very confidently that he knew exactly where to go. Trevor is very methodical and focused. I am sure he had it all worked out in his head. He has watched his older brothers do this many times, so when I asked him if he had any questions about his day Trevor, of course, told me, "no."

When Trevor got home he was happy just like his brothers. He told me about his day and he was very quick to tell me that I had homework to do! He quickly got his stuff out and handed it to me. He kept asking me all night if I had finished my homework yet.


Speaking of homework, I got homework from all of the boys. I had to fill out everything in triplicate! I did get it done on time however. This morning the boys made sure that I had done everything correctly. We are back in the swing of things!

After all the boys got home from school we went over to our friend's house for a back to school celebration. We celebrated with ice cream (that is my kind of party!!). The boys had fun talking to all their friends about their first day back at school. We had so much fun, in fact, that I didn't take a single picture. Last year our friend did the same thing and the kids ate and played outside. This year we were inside. It has been so hot outside that the ice cream would have melted before it was scooped out. Today is supposed to be even hotter. Ackkkk!


I am glad the boys had a great day. It was nice to get back into the swing of things again. Here's to another busy crazy year!

2 comments:

Danika said...

Don't you think the schools could get with the year 2010 and have stuff filled out electronically? My sister said she had to fill out essentially the same paperwork 10 times (3 for elementary and 7 different teachers for her high schooler)

Diedra Mahaffey said...

WAY TO GO GUYS!!! I am so glad you all had great first days... Trevor and Kaden - I got your letters and there is one coming right back to you! Thanks for remembering to write to Papa & me... we LOVE letters!! Love you...
Nana