Thursday, January 20, 2011

Stick Stacks



For the month of January every single week we had at least one snow day (usually two). Since we had so many we had to come up with some fun things to do. The boys always like to have a special breakfast, but I don't always like to get up and make one. They will often ask if they can make a special breakfast. I say yes, but I usually end up having to help a little. I don't mind, it makes for some fun memories.

Tanner has always liked to cook and he found a recipe he wanted to try. I got the ingredients, but he had to wait to make it because he doesn't have much time in the mornings on school days. Well, low and behold, the day after I bought the ingredients we had another snow day. Tanner was excited to try out the new recipe. He got the recipe from a book that his grandmother gave him. It is called Bean Appetit. It's a fun and healthy cookbook for kids. Basically, you make small pancakes and stack them on a skewer with kiwi and strawberry then top with a blueberry. Sounds good, right!


Tanner and I had fun trying to make the pancakes small enough to fit on the skewer with all the fruit. It would be easier if you used a circle form, but we like a challenge! Tanner became a master at making the pancakes the same size.


Tanner was very excited to make this new recipe for his brothers. He tried to do everything without his brothers watching (no small feet)! Kaden did help cut the strawberries at the beginning, but when Tanner started stacking Kaden had to leave the room!!


When the boys were finally welcomed into the room, they were excited. Tanner did a great job. The Stick Stacks looked really good.


Like most things that look cool, they were a little challenging to eat. But, as I mentioned before, we like a challenge. The boys put some syrup on their plates and then rolled their Stick Stacks around.


It was pretty funny watching the boys trying to eat their pancakes off the stick - some did better than others. Devon gave it one try and then opted for pulling everything off the stick.


Kaden, Tanner and Trevor had better luck with the stick, although Trevor's food kept slipping down.


At one point half of Trevor's food was on one end of the stick while the rest of the food was on the other end. Silly Trevor turned it sideways and started lifting weights! We all got a good laugh out of that one!!


We figured that Austin wouldn't be able to eat off the stick very well, so Tanner improvised and made him an Elmo pancake. It was a hit . . . Austin loved it!


We all loved the new recipe. Chad wasn't at home the morning Tanner made the Stick Stacks, so Tanner decided to do it again on Saturday morning. It was a hit once again! Thanks for being such a great cook Tanner!

3 comments:

Diedra Mahaffey said...

wow... those look GREAT... can't wait to come out there for your ordination, Tanner - to see what you'll make for us!!! love you
nana & papa

Cindy said...

Hey Brooke!
Looks like fun and fun boys! I enjoyed looking at all your pics. Kaden is getting so big. Come check my blog out sometime if you want.

Cindy

Jean said...

Those are awesome. Go Tanner.