Friday, January 28, 2011

Preschool Fun

At the beginning of the pre-school year the parents get to sign up to help with at least two events. I chose to sign up for the Halloween party and the preschool Olympics. I love to go into the schools and help. It is fun to get back into the classroom again (since I used to teach), but mainly I love catching a glimpse of what my boys are like at school. It's fun to meet their friends and watch them learn and have fun.


The Halloween party was a lot of fun. It's hard to go wrong with a Halloween party. The kids get to dress up, play games, and eat treats. Our party had all the right elements, so the kids had a great time. Before the party started all the parents were invited to a Halloween program. The preschoolers sang several songs. It was really cute!


After the program we headed to the classroom for some Halloween fun. One of the first things we did was decorate sugar cookies. The kids always love this activity. Devon was very focused at first. He wanted to get the frosting just right, but when he was done he started licking the frosting knife and having a good old time!


The kids all enjoyed the games as well. They played toss the ghost, hot potato and a spoon relay. I think Devon enjoyed the spoon relay the most. It was fun watching him get excited for his turn. He started jumping up and down and it almost look like he was trying to fly!


In January they held the Preschool Olympics. I was looking forward to helping, but I was afraid it might get canceled because of all the snow days we were having. We were told that if there was a snow day they would postpone the Olympics until the next week, but if school got canceled again the Olympics would not be rescheduled. Well sure enough school was canceled and the Olympics were postponed, but luckily the next week we were able to hold the Olympics.

Each class was assigned a country. Devon's class was Japan! At the beginning of the event all the preschoolers march into the gym holding their country's flag. After the procession, the kids participated in a fundraiser to benefit handicap children. The preschoolers had to jump for three minutes. They previously got pledges for their total number of jumps. They did really well. Hoping for three minutes was kind of tough for some of the kids, but I didn't see any of them quit.


After the fundraiser the Olympics began. There were five events: The Bobsled, Bean Bag Toss, Parachute and two relay races. I was in charge of one of the relay races. In our race the kids had to bike over to the basketball hoop, shoot a basket, spin on a sit-n-spin three times, run over to a mat and do a somersault, jump rope three times and then bike back to the start. It sounds really long, but the kids raced through it in no time!


The other relay race was a ice skating theme. The kids put on tissue boxes that had pictures of skates on them and then they zoomed to a slide. After going down the slide they had to run and touch a big mat, then race back to the start.


I had a great time watching Devon. He was all smiles! It was a great morning. I am glad I had the chance to help out this year!

No comments: