Sunday, January 9, 2011

In a Bit of a Pinch

Warning: This is a long post and includes some graphic pictures.

Gospel Doctrine had just ended and I was talking to a friend when I was told that one of my boys was crying in the hall. I could hear the crying and I figured whichever one it was had fallen down would be fine, so I turned back to my friend to finish my sentence. As I did another friend came into the room and frantically told me that Devon got hurt and was bleeding all over the place. This time I quickly gathered my things and headed for the hall.

When I got to the hall I could still hear Devon, although I couldn't see him. I looked at his class and was told that he had been rushed to the bathroom. I found out that Devon had gotten his finger shut in the classroom door, on the hinge side of the door. As I headed down to the bathroom several more people told me about Devon.

When I finally got to the bathroom I found Devon was screaming and clutching his finger. His teacher, a friend and doctor, was holding Devon trying to dress his wound. He told me what had happened. It was time for Devon's class to go into their classroom. One of the kids opened the door, but the class inside wasn't done with their lesson, so they shut the door. Unfortunately, Devon's finger was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Devon was in good hands. Not only did his teacher help dress his wound, but two other doctors (also in our ward) came in to lend a hand. They all told me that I should take Devon to the ER. They said he would need an x-ray and stitches. His finger was cut pretty deep and it had cut through the nail bed (leaving the bottom of the nail out of place). Chad wasn't at our ward on that Sunday. He is on the High Council and he was visiting another ward. I tried to call Chad, but was unable to get him on the phone. I didn't have to think for very long as I tried to determine what to do with the rest of the boys. Several friends offered to take the boys to their houses so I could take Devon to the hospital. It was so nice to know that I could focus on Devon and not have to worry about the other boys.

Devon screamed all the way to the car, but by the time I got to the ER he had settled down. He did start to cry again when we got inside the ER, but when he realized that we had to wait for a while he settled down again. Devon sat on my lap and played games on my phone until it was his turn to be seen. We waited for about an hour before Devon was called in for his x-ray.


While waiting, I kept trying to call Chad and I still couldn't get a hold of him. I knew he was on his way back to the church because he had to be there for a meeting. Finally, right before we went in for the x-ray I got Chad on the phone. It turns out he had actually gone home to get a bite to eat before returning to the church for his meeting. His phone was in the car, so he didn't know I was calling. I brought Chad up to speed and since we were still waiting to be seen we decided that Chad should go to his meeting and then pick up the boys.

I knew Devon was nervous about anyone touching his finger so I tried to tell him everything that was going to happen. I explained that the x-ray was a picture and they wouldn't have touch his finger. Devon was a little nervous going in, but when I reminded him that they were only taking his picture he relaxed.

Devon was very brave and patient through the whole thing. When the doctor came in he watched her carefully and was a little guarded, but he let her look at his finger. The doctor told me that Devon had broken the tip of his bone and that he would need stitches. She also said she would have to remove his nail to see if it was cut underneath. If it was, she would stitch it and re-attach the nail. The nail would eventually fall off, but it would help a new nail to grow. She was hopeful that a new nail would grow, but unfortunately it depended on how badly the nail bed was damaged - time would tell.

While we were waiting for the doctor to get started, I told Devon what was going to happen. He seemed to be more relaxed knowing what they were going to do. We had to wait a while for the doctor to return (she was waiting on an assistant), so I let Devon watch a movie on my phone. Occasionally, he would ask me about what they were going to do and I would explain it to him again. Then he would give me a reassuring look and return to watching his movie.


The doctor called a nurse down from the Pediatric unit to help hold Devon. His finger needed to be numbed and she was afraid Devon would have a hard time. Devon did not like getting his finger numb. He had to get three slow shots and he screamed through the whole thing. Even though he was screaming he wasn't moving around. The doctor and the nurse were both impressed that he was doing so well. They determined that I could hold Devon while the doctor stitched him up.

Devon continued to watch the movie while sitting on my lap. He didn't scream or complain the rest of the time. I shielded his view with my hand. I thought he might start to get upset again if he saw the blood. I was wrong. Several times during the procedure Devon would move my hand so he could see what the doctor was doing. Devon watched his finger being stitched and his nail being re-attached. I was impressed and so was the doctor and the nurse. Devon's a brave big boy!


Devon was told that after they were done with his finger he would get a popsicle. He was excited when they brought him his red popsicle. It was the kind that has two sticks that you can break into two. Devon turned to me and said, "I knew they would bring me two!" It was really cute and made me laugh.

Five hours, several games and a movie later we finally left the ER. We were both very glad to be heading home. Chad and the boys were all happy to see Devon doing well. He showed them his frog (the splint they put on his finger) and told them all about his popsicles - you know . . . the most important part of the day!


The day didn't go how I thought it would when I woke up that morning, but we were very blessed throughout the day. The Lord put several people in our path to help us. I never had to worry about anything. Several people told me they were impressed with how calm I was. I know the Lord had a hand in that. I felt very calm and assured the whole day - it was a huge blessing! We had good friends take care of our boys and make us dinner. We had good doctors. We had several prayers offered in Devon's behalf. They were answered.

As part of the recovery we had to change Devon's bandage every day. Chad or I changed the bandage, but I think Devon could have done it if he'd been allowed. He always reminded us when it needed to be changed and he would make sure that every thing was done correctly.

After a couple of weeks we went in to get the stitches removed. Devon was not very sure about what they were going to do. He got nervous and as a result he screamed the entire time. I don't think it really hurt him, I think he was just remembering the shot he got in the hospital. Chad was at the doctor's office with us this time. I had to hold Devon and Chad tried his best to settle Devon down. Nothing really worked. When it was all over they gave him a soda to settle him down. The transformation was amazing. He immediately settled down and was excited to have his own soda!! Silly guy!

Through it all we have been praying that Devon's fingernail will grow back. All of the boys remember Devon in their prayers. The Lord is answering our prayers once again. It has been a little over a month and we can see a new nail growing in. When we first arrived at the ER I suggested that we say a prayer and ask for Heavenly Father to help Devon and his finger. We said a quiet prayer. I hope Devon will always remember that his prayer was answered and how blessed we were that day.

1 comment:

Danika said...

Poor kid! I'm glad it's healing well!