Did you know that Abraham Lincoln spent his boyhood in Indiana? We didn't know until we moved to Indiana. Last week we visited the Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial (yes, it only took us four years to go there).
I didn't realize we lived so close to the Memorial. A friend of mine invited us to go with her family and another family from our ward. The grounds are beautiful. At the memorial they have a Visitors Center, a cemetery (where Lincoln's mother is buried) and a historic farm.
I love the design on grass!
We started off at the Visitors Center. They have a little museum and a short movie you can watch about Lincoln's boyhood. Right as you walk in they have a gift shop. It was hard to pull the boys away from that area. Tanner really wanted to get a hat like Lincoln wore, but in the end he settled for a picture taken by yours truly. I mean hey, if you can't have the real thing a picture is the next best thing!
I think Tanner does a pretty good impression of Pres. Lincoln!
After I took the picture of Tanner, Kaden came running over wanting me to take his picture by a display case. The case was full of money! Do you know which note has the face of Abraham Lincoln on it? It's the Five Dollar bill. On the way home Kaden found out that the cost for getting into the monument was five dollars per family. Kaden is sure that they charge five dollars because Lincoln's face is on the five dollar bill! Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not!
The boys enjoyed watching the short movie. It was informative and well done. After the movie we headed for the historic farm. It was a little bit of a walk, but it was such a nice day and the scene was so beautiful, I don't think anyone minded.
On the way to the farm we stopped for a couple minutes at the grave site of Pres. Lincoln's mother. From what I know of her she was a very good woman. She taught her children to read and write when they were young. Most children did not have the same luxury. Unfortunately, Pres. Lincoln's mother died when he was about nine years old. She got sick while nursing neighbors who had contracted the milk sickness. One got the infection from a cow that ate the white snakeroot plant. The plant poisoned the milk, thereby poisoning anyone who drank the milk.
We went to the memorial on the right day. The weather was perfect and there were hardly any people there. We were the only visitors at the historic farm. Shortly after we arrived we were met by one of the hosts. He was dressed in period costume and was playing his part. He asked us if we had any questions. When no one answered he said, "I have a question for you (speaking to the kids), why are you wearing shoes?" This confused the kids a little, but it also drew them in. The host told the children that in the day of Abraham Lincoln, kids did not wear shoes. You only started wearing shoes when you started working in the fields. The gentlemen invited us all into Lincoln's home (a one room cabin), and started telling us all about Lincoln's boyhood. I must say it was very interesting. I have been to many of these types of places and this was definitely one of the best I have visited. The host did an excellent job. He did such a great job that all of the kids sat and listened to him for over a half hour (Austin was the only one I had to keep an eye on). My friend and I were amazed! It was very interesting. He told the kids about what children their age would be responsible for doing during the day. I think my boys were amazed. They kept saying how the pioneers had it much harder than we do today. I think it made them grateful to live in this day and age.
Trevor is checking out the kid's bedroom.
We also talked with another host about what the people hunted. The kids got to feel the furs that were hanging in the blacksmith shop. They also got to handle the tools. Tanner was quite taken with an enormous mallet. He asked the guy if he could use the mallet to crush the top of an acorn. Tanner was so excited when he was given permission. I think that was the highlight of the day for Tanner!
Another exciting event occurred while we were at the blacksmith shop. Austin and a little girl were walking around all the benches. The next thing we know Kaden is telling us there is a snake. We looked down and the little girl was trying to touch the snake. Austin was a foot or so away on the other side of the snake. It was coiled and looking up. Once everyone noticed the snake we moved the kids back and the snake slithered away. We found out that it was a non-poisonous snake that eats poisonous snakes. We also learned that all poisonous snakes in Indiana have slits for their eyes instead of round balls. You learn new things everyday.
After visiting the farm we headed back to the picnic area for lunch. The boys ate quickly so they could go play with their friends before we had to leave. Kaden and Trevor played baseball, Devon played Frisbee, Tanner kept eating and occasionally did bubbles, and Austin had a blast pushing around our friend's doll stroller.
Should I be worried about this face?
By the time we had to leave all of the boys were very tired. It was a really great experience. I am glad the boys enjoyed learning about history so much. I loved hearing what the hosts had to say. I usually don't get to hear much because I am usually running after the young ones. I am glad I was able to hear so much. I learned a lot and I really enjoyed being there.

















2 comments:
Don't feel bad...we've lived here 11 years and we still haven't been to the Grand Canyon!
Hey Brooke, It's me Joanna Husted! I found your blog through Lindsay's. What a great blog! Your pictures are wonderful! and your boys are so beautiful! I didn't realize that you had moved to Indiana! You aren't that far from us. I hope you don't mind me checking out your blog! It's great to see you on here! You look great!
Post a Comment