Sunday, April 25, 2010

Austin's Buddy

Austin has a lot of admirers at this age, but Tanner is probably his biggest fan. Tanner has always been a great big brother. I've told him many times how fortunate we are that he is the oldest. Not only is he a good example for his brothers, but he has always been very sensitive to their needs and well-being, especially Austin. This doesn't mean that he always gets along perfectly with the older ones, but he is our resident defense attorney when one of the other boys gets into trouble.

I really enjoy watching Tanner take care of Austin. He loves to help him and is usually the first one on the scene if Austin gets hurt. I have had to laugh sometimes that when Brooke is not home and Austin falls down and hurts himself, he will sometimes run over to Tanner for consolation instead of me. While this won't surprise some who know me, I really believe this is a recognition of Tanner's great sensitivity and love rather than an indication of my lack thereof.

Austin loves Tanner and looks up to him in so many ways. For some reason (not even Tanner is really sure why) Tanner has always called Austin "Little Gus". It's pretty funny to watch the two of them. Tanner always seems to know what Austin is asking for even though his vocabulary is still limited to about three words at this point.

Austin is lucky to have Tanner as his big brother. I hope they will always maintain the close bond that they have right now.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Yesterday at church I saw Tanner holding Austin walking down the hall. He had BIG smile on his face and told me that it was Austin's first day of nursery. He was so excited for Austin. I am sure they will grow up to be wonderful friends.