Monday, April 26, 2010

Monticello

I have wanted to visit Monticello for a long time, yet in spite of our many visits to Virginia over the past several years, we have never been able to fit a trip to Monticello into our schedule. My interest in Jefferson's life and home really accelerated while I was taking American Heritage at BYU, but at that point Monticello was too far away. Of course, the Ken Burns documentary on Thomas Jefferson that I have watched multiple times has helped to increase my interest in Jefferson also.

His pivotal role in our nation's founding, his fascination with natural beauty, his pragmatic solutions to everyday problems and even his internal struggles with the issue of slavery are just a few of the things that have fueled my fascination with Jefferson's life. This fascination should not be confused with complete admiration however. Although there are many things that I do admire about Jefferson, he was not perfect. In spite of his imperfections, however, boring is an adjective that could never be used to describe him.

I was glad that during our recent visit to Virginia we were able to schedule some time to visit Jefferson's home and that we were fortunate enough to enjoy perfect weather during our visit. What struck me initially about Monticello are the beautiful panoramic views that surround this property on almost every side. The mountains (hills really) surrounding Monticello were just starting to come to life during our early spring visit.

Upon our arrival at the top of the hill where the home and gardens are located, one of the tour guides asked us if the boys would like to go around to the side of the house and participate in some period games and other activities. The boys had a good time and especially enjoyed creating a little artwork using a quill, some ink and a piece of parchment. The tour guides were especially nice to the boys throughout the afternoon.

The home itself is architecturally beautiful, but the most interesting aspects of the house to me are those that incorporate design elements that are intended to create a seemless transition between indoor spaces and outdoor spaces. The windows and doors throughout the home, for example, appear to be purposely positioned to draw every ounce of daylight into the home. There are double-paned windows throughout the home that insulate the home during cold winter months without the need for heavy curtains that would impede the light that pours so effortlessly into the interior of the home. Unfortunately, we were not allowed to take pictures of the home's interior. You really cannot fully appreciate Monticello without seeing the inside of the home.

Of course, the exterior of the home is impressive in its own right. Jefferson was a masterful planner and left no detail overlooked throughout this expansive property. Every feature of the grounds serves a dual purpose - to beautify the estate and to be useful. The pond located in the back of the home, for example, not only adds to the appeal of the property, but was used as a holding pond for live fish that were caught in nearby streams. The property is designed to conceal the purely utilitarian features of the home including the kitchens, slave quarters and even a pair of holding tanks that catch and store rainwater in the event of a dry spell.

Monticello was one one of the highlights of this trip for me and while we learned a lot during our afternoon visit, I feel like we were only able to scratch the surface. I think Monticello is the type of place that requires multiple visits to be truly appreciated. I could spend hours listening to the stories that the tour guides tell about Jefferson, the home and the property at large. I look forward to returning and continuing the education that we were able to begin during our brief afternoon visit to Monticello (note that the boys do not yet share this same sentiment).

4 comments:

NessaAnn said...

My mom has wanted to go there her whole life. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. So beautiful!

TulsaT said...

I love your eye for detail. The things that I would just pass over as nice, you focus on and seem to draw the beauty out of them. It's a gift really.

shannon said...

Great post! Great prose, Chad. Love reading what you write. And awesome photos! The one with the reflected house belongs on a postcard! Now you'll have to make it to James Monroe's house next time you're out that way.

Chad said...

Yeah, we were going to try this time, but ran out of time. Kind of backwards I guess when you're related to the guy.