
One of the first stops in DC was Iwo Jima. This is one of my favorite monuments. I had always seen pictures, but until I visited the monument I did not realize how massive it is. The figures are 32 feet tall and the flag pole is 60 feet tall. Those are sitting on top of a granite base that is several feet taller than me. It is just amazing. I also love the intricate details. You can feel the emotions on the faces.
When we first rounded the corner to the monument we saw two Marines changing the flag. The photographer in me got really excited, so I got out the car to take a picture while Chad parked the car. As I got closer I could see that one of the Marines was on a cell phone. It looked like something might be wrong. After the phone call the two Marines started folding the flag. That's when we figured out what was wrong. The cable used to lift the flag had broken and it appeared that the hook was at the very top of the statue. I heard one of the Marines tell a visitor they would probably have to call the fire department. I am sure that doesn't happen everyday. When it was time for us to leave they still had not resolved the issue. I am not sure how they fixed the problem. It was neat to see the Marines there taking care of the monument meant to honor their brothers and sisters in the service.
Despite the distraction we enjoyed visiting Iwo Jima. We are thankful for all of those who serve our country. I love the saying on the side of the monument.
We have a lot to be thankful for living in this country.
After we visited Iwo Jima we walked over to The Netherlands Carillon.
It was a gift to the United States from the dutch people as a thank you for the help we gave them during and after WWII. This is the second time have visited the Carillon. Unfortunately, we have never heard the bells play. Below the Carillon is a flower garden full of Tulips. They are beautiful and have a music all their own.















2 comments:
I, too, was totally surprised at how huge the Iwo Jima memorial was.
I sure hope Kevin keeps his job a few more years so we can take our kids back there and show them all the awesome stuff in DC.
You'll never guess who I'm having lunch with tomorrow...
Yeah, we love being close enough to drive to D.C. Who are you having lunch with?
Post a Comment