Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Nativity

One of the things I love about the Christmas season is displaying our nativities. One of my favorite nativities is the one I purchased when I was in Jerusalem. What drew me to this specific nativity was the fact that the figurines are faceless. I love how the wood gain creates a unique face on each piece. Because this nativity is one of my favorites it gets a prominent spot in our house - the entryway table. I love setting the nativity up. I set out each piece in a specific spot and I turn it at a certain angle to create the perfect scene.



The other morning, as Chad was walking past the nativity, he stopped and asked me to look at the nativity scene. The pieces had been rearranged. All of the figurines were now surrounding the baby Jesus, forming a circle. Chad asked who had moved the pieces, but no one confessed. As I looked at the new scene, I thought of the simple truth I was beholding. We all want to be close to the Savior and feel of his love. I am sure that after His birth those who came to see Him wanted to be close to Him. They knew this baby was different, they desired to be close to Him and they could feel His love for them. I think that this new scene is probably more close to the actual scene than the one I display each year. I am thankful for the little hands that helped me to see my nativity through new eyes. To really appreciate the meaning of the scene instead of the beauty of the pieces.

1 comment:

The Mahaffey Family said...

What a wonderful reminder of how to truly feel his love, to draw closer to him.