Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Good Day for Tanner


Today it was just the boys and me again. Chad had to attend another ward. The morning was going pretty well. I reminded Tanner and Kaden that it was Fast Sunday. In our church we fast the first Sunday of every month. Tanner and Kaden both got discouraged. As a parent, when I see this response I have several different emotions (not in any specific order). I am discouraged because I know how important fasting is and the blessings we receive from being obedient. I feel bad for them because I remember how hard it was when I was their age. Fasting for just one meal was sure to kill me! Patience (or the prayer for patience) to let them make their own decisions. I talked with them about why we fast and what kind of spirit we should have while fasting and left it up to them to decide if they would fast or not. To their credit both of them decided to fast and from then on I did not hear another whine or see another grumpy face. I am impressed with how quickly they both changed their attitudes. I can see their desire to show their love for Heavenly Father.

Since it was Fast Sunday we had Testimony meeting at church. As the first person started to bear their testimony Tanner turned to me with a big smile on his face and said, "I am going to do it." I said okay and he headed up to the stand. I love to watch him walk up to the stand and then to the podium. He always has a big smile on his face. Tanner bore a sweet testimony today. He said that he knew the gospel was true. He said he knew that because he had prayed and received answers. When Tanner sat back down after his bearing his testimony he told me that he almost cried. He seemed a little embarrassed by that. I told him that it was okay to cry, that sometimes we feel that way when we feel the spirit. What a sweet boy!

After church Tanner was really helpful. He is always really helpful, but today it was a little different. He kept volunteering to do things for me. When we had almost gotten everything in the car Tanner told me that he had gotten the most he had every gotten. When I asked him what he meant he told me that he had gotten the most out of church than he ever had before. He shared with me that after bearing his testimony he said a little prayer and then he listened to all of the people who got up to bear their testimonies. This may not seem that impressive, but for a 10 year old boy it is impressive, especially since I had to step out with Austin and Tanner was left there alone with his brothers.

Tanner later told his Dad that he had an excellent day! All of this made my heart so happy today. It was like a door opened up for Tanner today. I am excited for him. I pray that each of my boys will be able to gain their own strong testimonies and I can see Tanner's growing. I am glad that Tanner was able to feel and recognize the spirit. Tanner is such a wonderful boy. He does so much for our family. It is hard to be the oldest. We put a lot on his shoulders. Sometimes, as a parent, it is hard for me to remember that Tanner is just a kid trying to figure things out for himself. I don't always give him the credit he deserves.

Tanner, I want you to know that I love you very much. I am so proud of the man you are becoming. I appreciate all of the help you give to me each day. You are an awesome big brother! Thank you for sharing your testimony with me today. Keep up the good work! I love you!!

1 comment:

Diedra Mahaffey said...

To be a great MAN, you have to be a great Little Boy... and Tanner, you are one GREAT little BOY!!! Boy, do I Love you! I sure wish I could have been there to hear your testimony - I KNEW you could do it!
You're just preparing for next year when you receive the Priesthood, right? I LOVE YOU THE MOST buddy! Thanks for being such a good example to me! love you, Nana!