A little over a week ago a beautiful lady passed from this life. Her name is Mary Odom and she is my dear sweet grandmother. I was blessed to be able to go with Chad and Austin to her funeral this past weekend. It was so nice to be there with all of my family to celebrate the life of such a wonderful lady.
Mary in her 20's
I have lived away from my grandmother for quite a while. I have seen her a handful of times in the last several years. Whenever I was able to see here I counted it as a sweet blessing. I have always enjoyed being around Grandma Odom. I love to hear her stories and hear her cute little laugh. She was always smiling and so full of life.
To my children she is Great Grammy
My grandmother was born in 1913. She was 97 years old when she died. She saw many things in her lifetime from the invention of television to the computer to the cell phone.
Mary age 4
She was no stranger to hard work. In fact one of my memories of her is whenever she would come visit our family she would always work. She didn't like to be sitting while someone else was working. She would do what she could. It was understood that whenever grandma came to visit she would do the ironing (and she had plenty to do - the pile was always huge). She would also be one of the first to start washing the dishes after a meal. She didn't let us sit around and watch though. I can remember many instances when she would tell us to go help our mother. I think when I was a little girl that bothered me. As I got older, though, I came to appreciate her example of hard work and helpfulness. She always said she didn't want to be a burden on anyone.
Someone made the comment that she looks like a Movie Star!
Grandma also liked to play card games. Her favorites were Canasta and Hand and Foot. In her late years grandma started to lose her vision so she didn't enjoy watching movies or TV. If we were watching something on the TV you always knew that Grandma was bored when she started asking who would like to play Canasta with her! Luckily, she usually had some takers. Chad and I have played many games of Canasta and Hand and Foot with Grandma. She was very good at both games. As she got older we had to use cards with bigger numbers and a lamp specifically for grandma. She also sat at the seat closest to the window for added light. Even with all of that she often had to ask us if the number she was seeing was the correct number. Luckily for Grandma we are honest players!! Chad and I really enjoyed playing with Grandma. Many of our games lasted well into the night. One of the perks to playing the game with her was the treats. Grandma loved to have M&M's to snack on while she was playing a game. We loved it too! In fact that is probably where I get my love for M&M's (only I prefer the peanut kind).
Whenever Grandma Odom would come to visit she would always make my favorite cookies - peanut butter. To this day I don't think I have tasted a better peanut butter cookie than hers. I remember her showing me how to make them when I got older. The finishing touch, before putting them into the oven, was pressing a fork into the top of the cookie two times, each in different directions. I am sure you are thinking, yeah that's what you are supposed to do, but I thought it was a cool trick. Every time I make peanut butter cookies (from her recipe of course) I always think of Grandma.
Another special treat she would make was Pecan Pie. She made this dessert for my Dad, but we all got to enjoy it too! She came several times for Thanksgiving or Christmas and she would always make Pecan Pie and Chocolate pie. Maybe this is why Pecan Pie is my favorite pie. I have carried on her tradition of making Pecan Pie during the holidays as well. Chad and I both have our favorites and of course there are the traditional pies, so we usually have at least three pies for our little family. Way more than we need, but I will never omit Pecan Pie. Whenever I make the pie I can see my grandma making her pie - it is a wonderful memory!
My grandmother is a diligent, faithful and tough lady. She was the last daughter of a polygamist father. He had four wives and thirty-three children. My grandma's mother was the fourth wife. I imagine there must have been a huge party in heaven when grandma arrived. What a glorious reunion!
Stanely and Mary Odom
I am so thankful to have known my grandmother. I am thankful that she made it a point to visit so often when I was young. I am thankful for my grandmother's testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. My grandfather was not a member of the church, but I remember my grandmother putting forth the effort to go to church. She wanted to make sure that her children had strong testimonies and were active in the church. I know that could not have been easy to do on her own all the time. But I look at what her determination has turned into. Both of her children are strong members of the church and each of them have five children who are strong in the church and are rearing their families to have be strong as well. What better legacy can you leave?
Grandma's Children, Grandchildren, and Great Grandchildren

Everyone was there except for Chad (my brother) who could not travel because of a recent surgery. We missed you.
This past weekend was sad at times, but mostly it was a wonderful occasion to celebrate the life of a wonderful lady who fought to the end.
Grandma was as "tough as a boot"!
It was wonderful to sit and read her history, to hear stories of her life and recount memories from our childhood. I think she was smiling down on us. I am so glad to know that some day, when I pass from this life, she will be one of many that will be waiting to greet me. I can't wait to give her a great big hug and thank her for all that she has done for me and my family. I will forever be grateful for her influence and love in my life. I love you Grandma!







5 comments:
Wow, what a wonderful tribute! I loved reading about her, and your connections to her (now I get the pecan pie at Christmas!). She was a beautiful lady, and I am struck by how much you look like her.
That was lovely! She sounds like a wonderful lady and a lot like Kevin's grandma who is 92 whose favorite game is Hand & Foot.
What a beautiful tribute. She sounds like she was quite the amazing woman and example. I love all of the old pictures
That was the perfect tribute to Grandma, I couldn't have said it better myself! When I was younger she always made me make my bed and I used to get annoyed because my mom usually didn't even ask me to do that. Now I am like you, thankful for her example of hard work. She was an amazing lady and I am also grateful to be a part of her legacy.
Thanks sweetie... this was beautiful! Love & miss you guys so much! Thanks so much for all you did while you were here!
mom
Post a Comment