Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Pool is Open

On Saturday, the community pool finally opened. Since it is a community pool it is, by definition, not a fancy or glamorous pool. It is fairly old and needs some work, but we love it anyway! Everyone in our family loves the water, so I guess it doesn't really matter what kind of pool it is as long as it has water. During the summer, we spend a lot of our free time at the pool. The boys never tire of swimming, diving, flipping and being tossed into the water.

Another reason that we love our community pool is that it is a place where almost any day of the week, we can go and spend time with friends. Several neighbors and members of our ward belong to the pool, so it gives us an opportunity to hang out together and briefly escape the hot humid days of summer.

We've been looking forward to the opening of the pool for several weeks now, so needless to say, we spent a few hours at the pool on Saturday. During the week, Brooke will often take the boys to the pool in the afternoon and I will try to meet them there after work. If I'm lucky, I'll get to swim with them for about 30 minutes before the pool closes and then we eat a picnic dinner in the park. It has become somewhat of a family tradition and I can't think of a better way to spend time together during the long, lazy days of summer (except for out on a ski boat, but that will have to be the subject of a future post). No matter how long, wet or cold the winter, when we jump into the pool on Memorial Day weekend, all is right again in our little world.

No comments: