Sunday, May 2, 2010

Tanner Goes to Greenville

As I have previously mentioned, both Kaden and Trevor have visited the Greenville Ward with me a couple of times. Tanner, on the other hand, has always been a bit reluctant to go. I'm not sure if it is because he is a little apprehensive about new situations or if he feels like he needs to be in our own ward to help Brooke with Austin, but he has never accepted the invitation to be my traveling companion . . . until today. I really enjoyed having just Tanner along for the ride. The long ride (1.5 hours each way) gave us an opportunity to talk and laugh together, which was nice.

Tanner waited for me in the foyer while I attended some early morning meetings. When I came out of the Bishopric meeting this morning, I noticed that Tanner was no longer in the foyer. I did find him after the Ward Welfare Meeting. He was helping Brother Cobb (one of my favorite people in Greenville) shuttle people from their cars to the front door with an umbrella (it was pouring rain the way it only can in the Midwest). I was pretty impressed, but not surprised. Tanner is very thoughtful, just like his mom.

I was actually glad that we had the time in the car together because I didn't have much of an opportunity to talk with Tanner while we were in Greenville. He was too busy talking with everyone else. He had a great time talking with everyone. The people in the ward are all so friendly and Tanner was in his element. What did really impress me, however, was that as soon as the testimony meeting began, Tanner popped right up and bore his testimony in front of an entire congregation full of strangers. Well, sort of strangers I guess. He did have a couple of hours to get to know some of them while I was attending my meetings. In any case, I was very proud (yes proud) of him. I told him on the way home that he looked like a young missionary standing in front of the congregation today. I can only imagine how quickly that day will come.

1 comment:

TulsaT said...

What a wonderful post. He sets a good example not only for his brothers, but for other boys in our ward and I'm grateful. He's an exceptional young man.